[Oberon] Software Tracking Project

Jörg joerg.straube at iaeth.ch
Tue Jan 30 19:57:53 CET 2018

Srinivas

Both systems are operating systems. That they are programmed in Oberon (instead of C) is just a proof that Oberon is not only a high level application language but can also be used to code an operating systems where you have to write low layer HW drivers with register access and so on.

The differences are in the GUI and in the APIs you have to call to write an application.
It's like Android and macOS. Obviously, you can program your application on both OSes, but your application code looks different as you have to follow the APIs of the underlying operating system.

The same with S3 and V4. If you write applications (in Oberon) on top of those OSes, you have to call the corresponding APIs of either S3 and V4. The crux is: they are very similar, but unfortunately not identical.
So, it is possible to write simple programs running on both OSes without touching the source code. But if your application needs interaction with a GUI, the differences of both systems become more visible.

br
Jörg