[Oberon] Intermediate scopes in Oberon-07

Richard Hable informujo at aon.at
Sun Feb 11 17:47:47 CET 2018

On 2018-02-11 11:20, Andreas Pirklbauer wrote:

> In the entire PO2013 system with850 procedures (of which only 17 are
> local ones),
> there is only ONE local TYPE declaration and only 8 local CONST
> declarations.

Since this example has been cited several times now: I think that it
tells more about the programming style preferred by Niklaus Wirth than
about the actual value of local declarations.

Wirth tries very hard to avoid so called "type explosion". Therefore, he
rather declares a single record with very generally usable fields than a
hierarchy of record types. And fewer type declaration in total also
means fewer local ones.

Richard