[Oberon] Re (2): Completeness; Ceres.

Skulski, Wojciech skulski at pas.rochester.edu
Fri May 4 17:24:40 CEST 2018

One of the most confusing aspects of Oberon is the multitude of Oberon languages, modules, and systems, all referred to by the same names like Text. Comparing the two definitions below, they have not much to do with each other except the common name. The word "portable" is somewhat sarcastic in this case. The Text is barely portable among the Oberon Systems.

Perhaps one should use different names for modules with similar intent, but truly different implementations? I looked at the dictionary definition of "text", trying to come up with some propositions. After reading the dictionary, I would propose Text for the original Oberon, and Scripture for the System-3 and derivatives. What do you think?

Here is the dictionary definition: www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/text

Original post:

This is copied from Oberon.Texts.Mod .
MODULE Texts IN Oberon; (** portable *) (*JG 23.8.94*)
    TextDesc* = RECORD (Objects.ObjDesc)
      len*: LONGINT;    (** Text consists of characters 0 to T.len - 1. *)
      obs: Objects.Library;     (* Library containing objects located in text. *)
      trailer: Piece;
      org: LONGINT; (*cache*)
      pce: Piece
    END;

So appears to be the Oberon context.

Martin Reiser's _The Oberon System_, page 139 has this.
TYPE
  Text = POINTER TO TextDesc;
  TextDesc = RECORD
    len: LONGINT;
    notify: Notifier
  END;

That is Legacy Oberon or another?  Certainly not the Oberon context above.