[Oberon] PARC for Android?

eas lab lab.eas at gmail.com
Tue May 15 10:37:06 CEST 2018

Aubrey McIntosh wrote:-----

]I bought a Logitech MX Ergo Plus trackball mouse at Fry's.
]This connect via WiFi or Bluetooth.
]
]... and with this mouse I connected to my Android phone,
] and a mouse cursor appears,
] and all 3 buttons appear to operate.
]
]I don't know how deeply, or what flavor of Unix Android is,
] I have never been able to get Hello World up and running.
]
]Nonetheless, I think the next step is to see if a bluetooth keyboard
]will also connect to the phone,
] and then to raise the question of moving S4 to the Android.

Yes but, you mean V4 ?

Peter Matthias wrote:-----

]Android uses Linux Kernel.
]OLR/ARM Linux runs, but is not compatible with Android runtime system.
]E.g. Android updates the framebuffer frequently so that OLR output on
]the framebuffer is overwritten.

But if the display is incompatible with ETHO, are general Xorg
programs not runable?
BTW LNO is the only 32bit ETHO I can run on this 64bit Linux.

For me: the 3 button mouse is essential.
Testing the minature rPi with a HDMI-cable to the <public TV>;
I tuned <ETHO> to work without transporting the bulky keybrd.
It was completely viable with a pre-chosen token selection: menu.

I'm surprised that no one here seems to have discovered `wily`:
like ETHO also based on PARC, more extremely 3-buttoned that ETHO!
Only when I need colors, for that extra dimension of comprehension
do I use ETHO. BTW I've got the minimal-patch for the C-source, to
restore wily's Left/Right -mouse scroll direction to our ETHO's.

I'm writing this with wily now:-
 which wily == /usr/local/bin/wily
 ls -l /usr/local/bin/wily == ..507287 Oct 29  2017 ..
Or did you read my post about functional/piping?
  ls -l `which wily` ==.. 507287 Oct 29  2017 ..
---------------
Since some readers here, work down at the hex: bit / byte,
and not just sales-clerk level, I'm looking for an explanation
of how to get android <root access>.
A 10inch REbranded tablet is given away here for
 1K/12.5 = 1K/(100/8)=8K/100=US$80 !

Some of the blurb implied that it uses a multicore atom;
Ie, X86. But I'm wondering how the several apps that I
downloaded knew what architecture was needed.
Or did I select.  DL-ed gforth and busybox fail to run
because of no <root-access>.

With `ghostCommander` which tries to imitate the
classical NortonCommander:
 I tried to locate the downloaded `busybox` and
copy it to the SDcard, which when removed could set the
permissions to be runnable from the SDcard -- hopefully.
If busybox allowed me to: cd, ls, cp, chmod, ... maybe I
could fly ?      Also:
   cat `which wily` | head -1 |  hexdump | head -2  ==
   0000000 457f 464c 0101 0001 0000 0000 0000 0000
   0000010 0002 0003 0001 0000 a6b0 0804 0034 0000

Are these bytes X86 or ARM ?
  cat `which wily` | head -1 ==
  .ELF ..../lib/ld-linux.so.2...
Well of course this laptop is <WinTel>.

BTW LinuxETH-Oberon is superior to wily, since it also
runs *nix commands, giving you <literate programming>
and it hasn't got the few bugs of wily. But G.F. the author
has abandoned it -- LEO doesn't run on 64Bit.

== crg

PS. when I ask if the <bytes are ARM or X86>, I mean
eg. at the MBR-start, where the raw-CPU executes, by fetching
and executing words; not as packaged for the OS.