[Oberon] Error handling in Oberon procedures/functions.

Bob Walkden bob at web-options.com
Thu May 24 15:16:11 CEST 2018

The answer is different for procedures and functions.

For procedures it is normally enough to use a result parameter and test it after each call.

For functions, as far as possible the compiler should prevent you from supplying an input value which is not mapped to an output. So the data type of the input should be a mapped subset of the domain of the function.

If that is not possible or practical, test the value of the input parameter and invoke the function only if the value is mapped.

If that is not possible then behave like n/0, and trap.