[Oberon] Wanted: Oberon Syntax in TextMate, Sublime Text or Atom Grammar

Colby Russell oberon at x.colbyrussell.com
Thu Aug 2 22:22:52 CEST 2018

On 07/28/2018 05:50 AM, Paul Reed wrote:
> I'm using this extension in Visual Studio Code (I don't like the colours,
> but let's not be subjective). ;-)

https://marketplace.visualstudio.com/items?itemName=colbyrussell.vscode-oberon-support

Paul, I'm glad you found it useful.  To be honest, I didn't set out to
create an extension.  I uploaded it a while back after noticing that
there weren't any others available, and I got tired of seeing things
rendered as plain text.  (Otherwise, I ordinarily just use Vim and
enable its built-in support for Modula-2 when browsing Oberon source
files.)

The extension is little more than the grammar that vladfolts distributes
with oberonjs:

<https://github.com/vladfolts/oberonjs>

... plus a bunch of metadata that VSCode requires to satisfy the
extension packaging format.  I did make a few changes based on some
spot-checking of how things looked after activating the extension and
skimming the Project Oberon 2013 system source.  As the description for
Vlad's repo suggests, the grammar is only meant to cover Oberon-07.

The extension itself doesn't specify any colors, just the grammar I
mentioned; whatever colors you're seeing come from your active VSCode
theme.

> But I have no idea how to recover the syntax from the .vsix file.

As Jörg hinted, the VSCode package format is a zip file with a .vsix
extension.  Alternatively, you can type "ext" in VSCode's command
palette and choose the "Open Extensions Folder" item to browse the
unzipped files already on your disk.

--
Colby Russell