[Oberon] Oberon FPGA hardware point of view

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Wed Aug 8 18:40:06 CEST 2018

On Wed, 8 Aug 2018 at 13:18, Andreas Pirklbauer
<andreas_pirklbauer at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Ada is well designed language (in the spirit of Pascal), but it is
> also a big language.

Not compared to modern C++, say!

Or if you factor in all the libraries, any modern HLL such as Perl or
Python or Ruby or perhaps above all Java.

Compared to them, Ada is tiny and concise.

> As far as I am aways, it not used much
> anymore today, except, perhaps, in some niche areas.
> The military used it  for safety-critical applications.

It's also widely used in civilian roles such as aircraft control
systems. Any fly-by-wire jet is running loads of Ada.

> I am not aware whether it is used for any real-word *embedded*
> applications. Due to its size and limited support I doubt it.

As above. Inasmuch as it's hidden inside control systems, with no
visible UI, then I'd count stuff like avionics as embedded. Perhaps
that's not typical.

But modern embedded controllers can be 64-bit RISC chips with a few
gig of RAM. They are not your grandad's AVR Atmegas.