[Oberon] FPGA - Display.Mod 4-bit colour

Jörg joerg.straube at iaeth.ch
Thu Oct 18 13:58:22 CEST 2018

Tomas

If you want to know how to program your video correctly you have to study your HW.
As I have another board (Pipistrello) as you have (Pepino) I can not send you my Verilog code as your HW is different.

If you look at your „RISC5_pepino.ucf" you will find:

NET "RGB[0]" LOC = "B10"; # RED 0
NET "RGB[1]" LOC = "A10"; # RED 1
NET "RGB[2]" LOC = "C11"; # RED 2
NET "RGB[3]" LOC = "A11"; # GREEN 0
NET "RGB[4]" LOC = "B12"; # GREEN 1
NET "RGB[5]" LOC = "A12"; # GREEN 2
NET "RGB[6]" LOC = "C13"; # BLUE 0
NET "RGB[7]" LOC = "A13"; # BLUE 1

So, the lowest three bits (0..2) are red, bits 3..5 are green and the most significant two (6..7) are blue.

These FPGA lines are digital 0 and 1s; but the VGA monitor wants analog RGB values, so you need a DAC (digital analog converter).
The following video shows you how this can be done: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzhDRIX2Ors <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzhDRIX2Ors> (3:22 - 7:00)
and luckily on page 1 of the Pepino schematic http://www.saanlima.com/download/pepino-v1.1/pepino4-schematic.pdf <http://www.saanlima.com/download/pepino-v1.1/pepino4-schematic.pdf>
you see that Magnus foresaw three somewhat similar resistors for RED (RED0=2000 Ohm, RED1=1000 Ohm and RED2=560 Ohm).

Now to „invert“ colors, it somewhat depends on what you expect. The easy one first: inverting white should result in black, shouldn’t it?
But what do you expect as inverted color of „orange“?

The easiest way to define „inverting colors" is to invert all bits and accept the outcome.
Hence inverting 0FF8000H (orange) results in 0007FFFH (="pure blue")

br
Jörg