[Oberon] Bit manipulation in Oberon-07

Jörg joerg.straube at iaeth.ch
Thu Oct 25 07:22:52 CEST 2018

Hi

SET is neglected indeed. But SETs and INTEGERs are two different things.
ORD seems handy but the whole topic of endianness makes your ORD() code not portable. So use it with care.
The Oberon spec does not state whether the statement s := {0}; sets LSB or MSB. In other words it's not specified whether
  ORD( {0} ) = 1 or   ORD( {0} ) = 80000000H
This is left to the compiler implementor.

Better is to use SYSTEM.VAL(INTEGER, s) or SYSTEM.VAL(SET, i). By importing SYSTEM you flag your code as "not portable“.
When porting code from one processor to another you immediately know, you most probably have to adapt the code to cope with a) underlying endianness, b) compiler differences or c) word width.

br
Jörg