[Oberon] a module a page (keeps the mind sane)?

Skulski, Wojciech skulski at pas.rochester.edu
Sat Nov 3 17:54:37 CET 2018

Tomas:

> That reminds me of my early attempts with programming, FORTRAN '77, punch cards, we also had punch tapes. Cards had little advantage as they had code printed at the top. No terminals, system typing machine, resembling a type writer.

My earliest programming experience was Fortran IV using Cyber 73. A practical limit of a program size was a box full of cards. It was difficult to maintain decks of cards which would not fit into a box. In all honesty, the Cyber 73 operating system named SCOPE allowed to maintain the programs on disk rather than in a box. So a box was not a hard limit.

The women were always at the other side of the glass. I watched them taking my decks of cards, unwrapping a rubber band holding the cards together, and feeding the decks to a punch card reader. We called these women "operators".

Fortran 77 came later....

Wojtek