[Oberon] SYSTEM Modules

Hans Klaver hklaver at dds.nl
Sat Nov 10 17:19:24 CET 2018

Chris Burrows wrote:
> (...)
> Consequently I’m thinking of implementing an extension to the Astrobe Oberon-07 compilers. This will allow low-level modules to be specified by prefixing the keyword MODULE with the keyword SYSTEM (similarly to the DEFINITION and IMPLEMENTATION module prefixes in Modula-2). Such system modules would allow / require any SYSTEM objects to be referenced unqualified.
>
> (...)
> Any comments?
>
> Any other suggestions for solving this problem?

The Modula-2 way of using:
     FROM SYSTEM IMPORT PUT, GET, BIT, UBF;
has the advantage of self-documentation.

If you would extend the Astrobe Oberon-07 compilers with SYSTEM MODULE ... maybe it would be sensible to advise programmers to always add a comment to document which procedures are imported from module SYSTEM, like this:

    SYSTEM MODULE Clock;

    IMPORT MCU;
    (* From SYSTEM imported: PUT, GET, BIT, UBF *)

Hans