[Oberon] SYSTEM Modules

Chris Burrows chris at cfbsoftware.com
Sun Nov 11 12:03:09 CET 2018

Not exactly. I'm questioning why some global built-in procedures have to be qualified whereas others don't. How cumbersome would it be if we had to say GLOBAL.INC(i, 1) or ch := GLOBAL.CHR(i)? The definition of SYSTEM has diminished over time to the point where it is now almost redundant.

Comparing SYSTEM calls to Display calls is like comparing apples to oranges.

Global built-in / SYSTEM procedures are very different to procedures contained in library or application modules. You cannot necessarily apply the same rules to both. Built-in procedures have one or more of the following attributes:

1.  Variable number of parameters

2.  Implemented as inline code

3.  Bypass normal type-checking code

4.  Bypass normal range-checking code

And, above all:

5.  They can only be modified / added to by modifying the compiler

Whenever I have had a situation where there could be many calls to the same imported module (e.g. Texts, Display) etc, I wouldn’t use aliases just to save typing.

e.g. if I see repetitive code like this

      Files.ReadInt(R, data); Out.String("fixP = "); Out.Int(data, 8); Out.Ln();

      Files.ReadInt(R, data); Out.String("fixD = "); Out.Int(data, 8); Out.Ln();

      Files.ReadInt(R, data); Out.String("fixT = "); Out.Int(data, 8); Out.Ln();

      Files.ReadInt(R, data); Out.String("entry = "); Out.Int(data, 8); Out.Ln();

I am likely to refactor it to something like this:

     PROCEDURE ShowFixup(r: Files.Rider; label: ARRAY OF CHAR);

     VAR

       data: INTEGER;

     BEGIN

       Files.ReadInt(r, data); Out.String(label); Out.String(" = "); Out.Int(data, 8); Out.Ln();

     END ShowFixup;

     ShowFixup(R, "fixP");

     ShowFixup(R, "fixD");

     ShowFixup(R, "fixT");

     ShowFixup(R, "entry");

The dozen references to Out are reduced to four.

Regards,

Chris Burrows

CFB Software

http://www.astrobe.com