[Oberon] FPGA - OberonV4 Dialogs

Chris Burrows chris at cfbsoftware.com
Sun Dec 16 00:28:47 CET 2018

At the risk of being a 'wet blanket' ...

An estimate 'excluding testing' can lead to false expectations. Optimistic estimations are a common failing of software developers. Just like gamblers they only remember past wins and conveniently forget about the losses. One statement I hear all the time is 'I've just got one more bug to fix and then it will be finished'.

Typical programming tasks take 10% of the time to get 90% done but 90% of the time to get the remaining 10% done.

To account for these factors, a good rule of thumb to arrive at reliable estimates is to breakdown the development of software to 40% design, 10% coding and 50% testing / debugging.

In this case, assuming 'a few days of work' means 'five days' (i.e. more than a couple of days but less than several days), and the number of man-hours per day is eight, that would mean that it would take 40 man-hours to get it to a state where it compiled without errors and survived minimal tests.

However, following the rule of thumb, an additional 200 man-hours would then be required to make sure that it works correctly for all scenarios. If a volunteer has done the first (fun) part, it would be prudent to assume that the end-user would be liable for this second (tedious) part,

Regards,
Chris Burrows
CFB Software
http://www.astrobe.com