[Oberon] PO2013 - Real time measurement

John R. Strohm strohm at airmail.net
Mon Dec 17 15:44:34 CET 2018

The one catch is that you need a separate CS (chip select) line for each
device you want to connect to a given SPI bus.  Only one CS may be active at
any time.  (Hint: 3-8 decoder/demultiplexer, or even 4-16.)

Some microcontroller SPI devices need very careful software design and
implementation to make SPI work properly.  Motorola/Freescale/NXP is very
much in this category.  To trigger a data transfer, you must read (and
implicitly clear) the SPI Data In buffer register.  The implication is that
you have to have a way to "snoop" that register, without actually reading
and clear it, to get the last data byte in a message, and your driver must
KNOW enough about the particular device's data protocol to know when to read
and when to snoop.  Analog Devices Blackfin SPI devices are a nightmare.
(Friends don't let friends do Blackfin SPI.  Those words are written in my
personal blood, thank you for asking.)