[Oberon] PO2013 - Real time measurement

Skulski, Wojciech skulski at pas.rochester.edu
Mon Dec 17 18:48:29 CET 2018

Paul:

>It never ceases to amaze me how supposedly-professional hardware designers
>manage to mess up actual hardware for all its users.

I do not want to complain. Texas Instruments have blessed us all with wonderful devices which we all enjoy. Having said this, let me entertain you with a few numbers. I just downloaded the AM335x Technical Reference Manual Revision P, publication spruh73p.pdf. I often entertain people asking them how many pages the TRM would have if printed. They usually guess "a few hundred perhaps?". Well, the TRM Revision P has 5113 pages. (Five thousand one hundred thirteen.)

The list of figures starts on page 13 and ends on page 92. These pages are not figures. They are a *list of* figures, mostly depicting internal registers.

The list of tables starts on page 93 and ends on page 172. Again, it is just the list rather than the tables themselves.

The actual Introduction starts on page 174. The previous 173 pages are occupied with a Table of content, list of figures, and the list of tables.

I wonder how many pages the AM335x TRM Revision Z will have....

> Even if you look at the Raspberry Pi's Broadcom chip it's a scandal that it's
> still so badly documented yet fully targeted towards education (though
> perhaps not actual computer science, more plugging things together with
> Python scripts it seems - but anyway).

RPi chip is an ARM of a similar complexity to Sitara. Unlike Sitara, you cannot buy the Broadcom chip on a free market and thus you cannot design your own boards using it. This is why I chose Sitara over RPi.

Wojtek