[Oberon] PO2013 - Real time measurement

Skulski, Wojciech skulski at pas.rochester.edu
Tue Dec 18 17:31:23 CET 2018

Chris:

1)  Are your examples available for download?

2) Having such components begs a question of system integration. Namely, how to add one of these or several to a firmware System On Chip? What are the interfaces? What are the rules? How to add a software driver or drivers after adding the FW components?  The latter mostly means the rules for defining registers and their addresses.

Here I can point out the Pong P. Chu's approach from his newest SoC books, where he defined an FPro framework enabling an organized approach to adding firmware components and define their address maps. Another well known example is Wishbone. Comparing the two, FPro is simpler and it likely covers most of the needs.

On the other hand, NW/PR design was simply a "top level file" where they interfaced whatever components they had, without a formal set of rules how to add new components. Please correct me if I am wrong.

So now you/we have your firmware components which can be used in the custom firmware SoC. Do we have the rules how to assemble such an SoC, using these components?

Thank you,
Wojtek