[Oberon] PO2013 - Real time measurement

Chris Burrows chris at cfbsoftware.com
Thu Dec 20 12:00:37 CET 2018

A software solution is fine for a workstation system where it doesn’t need to be too accurate during long-running tasks and can be reset daily.

However, we find the RTC more convenient to use on Workstation Oberon simply because we don’t have to enter the date and time whenever we restart the system – which can be several times a day during OS development.

But that was not the main reason behind implementing it. The sort of applications we are targeting are:

1.       Unattended embedded systems

2.       Accurate real-time dataloggers using HCFiler as a high-capacity file system

3.       Running continuously for extended periods e.g.  weeks or months.

The following features of the Maxim DS3234 Real-time Clock / Calendar device we use make it very suitable for *these* applications: :)

1.       Counts Seconds, Minutes,Hours, Day, Date, Month, and Year with Leap Year Compensation Valid Up to 2099

2.       Battery backup - time is maintained even when the system is powered-down.

3.       ±2 minutes per year accuracy from -40°C to +85°C

4.       Accurate time is maintained during long-running software tasks.

Regards,

Chris

Chris Burrows

http://www.astrobe.com