[Oberon] The "Oberon" context identifier.

Jörg Straube joerg.straube at iaeth.ch
Sat Dec 22 09:04:51 CET 2018

Lyall

Context identifiers were introduced in A2 for a very special not very common situation.
Oberon being an operating system either runs on bare metal (as an operating system normally does) or on top of another operating system, very hip these days, called virtualization. You know all these flavors of Oberon on Windows, Oberon on Linux and so on.

Now if you put Oberon on A2 it happens that the host OS (Oberon) and the guest OS (A2) are both written in the Oberon programming language. Not a very common case.

If you want to use - lets say - module Texts, you have to explain to the compiler if you meant Texts of the host OS or Texts of the guest OS. This is where contexts come into play.

Basically, they were only implemented on A2. Nowhere else.

Jörg