[Oberon] Portability.

Treutwein Bernhard Bernhard.Treutwein at Verwaltung.Uni-Muenchen.DE
Mon Jan 28 12:43:28 CET 2019

>Many of the modules in S3 and A2 had the comment (** portable *)
>following the module name.  The comment has been removed from some
>more recent sources. Examples:

a late answer: afaik, that label was used to mark modules, where the OMI/Slim Binary
code was portable across platforms.

If you do not know what OMI/slim binaries were: Michael Franz created this
portable object file format when Apple made the move from 68K to PowerPC
and thus created so called "fat binaries" containing machine code for both
types of CPU. OMI/slim binaries are a representation of the program as
an adaptive compressed abstract syntax tree combined with a compiling
loader. This is very similar to the Graal & Truffle project going on currently
around Java platform, which is interestingly promoted in Linz by a group
around Hans-Peter Mössenböck. You can find more information at
http://www.ssw.uni-linz.ac.at/Research/Projects/JVM/Truffle.html.
I found OMI/slim binaries fascinating, but apparently Michael Franz did
not document the adaptive compression and thus it was very difficult (or
almost impossible) to extend it with new constructs (see note just before
the list of language reports on the old ETH pages archived here: http://www.ethoberon.ethz.ch/compiler/index.html#report).

If somebody knows more, or knows it better, please correct me.
--
  Bernhard