[Oberon] Re (2): FPGA Oberon vs Ceres (was: Debugging FPGA oberon via serial line?)

peter at easthope.ca peter at easthope.ca
Mon Feb 4 18:12:57 CET 2019

From:	Michael Schierl <schierlm at gmx.de>
Date:	Sun, 27 Jan 2019 14:34:32 +0100
> ... does anybody have disk/media/rom images of the original Ceres
> machine, ...

The Computer History Museum has a Ceres 1 and a Ceres 3.
https://www.computerhistory.org/collections/catalog/X2321.2002A
https://www.computerhistory.org/collections/catalog/102674736

This is a reply from senior curator D. Spicer.
From:	Dag Spicer <*@*.*>
Date:	Mon, 28 Jan 2019 20:41:40 +0000
Subject:	Re: Info#0573 Ceres 1 & 3.
> Hi Peter,
>
> Thank you for being in touch; much appreciated.
>
> I'm afraid we don't really know if those two computers would boot: we
> haven't tried!
>
> Typically we don't run our machines in the interest of historical
> preservation, just fyi, although we do have two impressive systems from
> the 1960s running and on display, viz. a DEC PDP-1 an an IBM 1401.
>
> Hope this is helpful-  was there anything else about these machines
> you need help with?
>
> With best wishes,
>
> Dag
> (Greetings from a fellow Canadian!)
> --
> Dag Spicer
> Senior Curator
> Computer History Museum
>
> 1401 N. Shoreline Blvd.
> Mountain View, CA 94043

Of course anyone living within driving distance of the CHM can become
involved. Possibly restore a machine to working order and operate as
demonstration for visitors.

Otherwise sources can be transcribed from the PDF of the book. That's
how I got https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Oberon/V2/Texts.Mod .

Regards,                ... Lyall E.

--
Message composed and transmitted by software designed to avoid the
complication, overhead and vulnerability of antivirus software.

123456789 123456789 123456789 123456789 123456789 123456789 123456789
Tel: +1 360 639 0202                                  +1
http://easthope.ca/Peter.html              Bcc: peter at easthope. ca