[Oberon] any ideas remarks about compiler construction for TinyGo?

Frans-Pieter Vonck fp at vonck.nl
Tue Feb 19 10:38:30 CET 2019

Hi,

I'm,on the side, following the process of the construction of a compiler
for Golang for microcontrollers, Tinygo.
https://tinygo.org/
They use the LLVM compiler toolchain. My question is, is this the right
way to create a new language.

Being inspire  by this talk of Robert Greisemer
https://youtu.be/0ReKdcpNyQg?t=1059
where he shows the resemblance (heritage) of Go with Oberon, I wondered
if LLVM is the right way to do it.

Griesemer is educated at  ETHZ, see for instance his research work.
https://www.inf.ethz.ch/utils/search.html?language=en&pagetype=all&search=griesemer&x=0&y=0

So I think using the compiler construction principles of Oberon would be
a better a way.
Especially when you consider that LLVM is not a "one man system" but a
"conference" - system
https://llvm.org/devmtg/2019-04/ that keeps a lot of good minds occupied
(employed).

What are your thoughts?