[Oberon] Resend: Re: Risc-5 Instructions statistics

Walter Gallegos waltergallegos at vera.com.uy
Sun Feb 17 14:33:47 CET 2019

Wojtek,

Yes for me the focus is the special hardware not the micro-controller.
Let me try to explain for what I insist at point. In advance, I do not
try to "evangelize" anyone.

Unfortunately or fortunately, only a point of view ;), I come from
hardware, from FPGA hardware even worst from industrial FPGA hardware,
game rules are different.

To use a 28 USD chip I need justify that this chip provide the best
solution. A basic rule in industry is : a project use FPGA because is
the only practical solution if not use a micro-controller.

In this context chose a bigger component adding 6.44 USD to the costs
when an external 50MHz ARM cost around 3.5 USD could be hard to justify.
Beside the cost of a chip is the development cost that in case of ARM is
significantly lower because it is a better know component than an FPGA.

Combined this cost with Paul numbers I could conclude that in the case
of DSP blocks for multiplication add 6.44 USD to the cost of each unit
optimize only 0.15% of the software. A conclusion drawn from the hairs I
agree but illustrate the type of analysis that we need do.

I insist because I would like to see a growing community but for that it
has to fit into the industry and play by it rules.

Regards,

Walter