[Oberon] Alternatives for cases.

Andreas Pirklbauer andreas_pirklbauer at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 10 10:29:55 CET 2019

   > Fortunately there is no need to bother when using the complete
   > implementation of Oberon-07 - the existing CASE statement already
   > satisfies my needs. I was merely using the SET example to emphasise
   > the difference between the capabilities of IF-THEN-ELSE and CASE
   > for the benefit of those who believe they are equivalent.

Point taken. Perhaps you can write a paper entitled “The case for the
CASE statement” or something, laying out some real use cases and
describing the benefits of the CASE statements for those (apart from
performance), e.g.,

- compare a value against one or more values of the same type
- respond to multiple potential values in a single case
- check a value for inclusion in an interval (interval matching)
- no implicit fallthrough

etc etc.

and perhaps describing potential extensions, e.g. instead of simply
matching for integer, char or byte values, match for more complex
matching patterns such as regular expressions.