[Oberon] [ANN] GigaDraw - The Ultimate Drawing App for Oberon V5 (well, almost ; ))

Till Oliver Knoll till.oliver.knoll at gmail.com
Mon Mar 25 14:27:53 CET 2019

> Am 25.03.2019 um 13:52 schrieb Till Oliver Knoll <till.oliver.knoll at gmail.com>:
>

>> Am 25.03.2019 um 11:03 schrieb Dieter <d.gloetzel at web.de>:
>>
>> Sounds interesting! Is there a version for ETHOberon on Windows 10 available?
>
> I added some further references to the README:
>
>   https://github.com/till213/GigaDraw/blob/master/README.md
>
> To my understanding the „Oberon Core“ application available (for free) in the Mac App Store is based on the „Oberon RISC Emulator“ code here:
>
>   https://github.com/pdewacht/oberon-risc-emu
>
> There are build instructions for various platforms, including Windows. Apparently there are also binaries for Windows.

I just noticed that you were referring specifically to „ETHOberon“.

Even at the time as student at the ETH starting in the mid 90ies there were at least two flavours of Oberon: the „original one“ developed by Niklaus Wirth and Jürg Gutknecht (Oberon V4), and the „spin-off“ System 3 with Gadgets (mostly Jürg Gutknecht).

I had to do quite a bit of „historical research“ myself, to figure out which is which, especially since that time there were even more forks and variants of Oberon, both at Linz (Hanspeter Mössenböck basically took V4 to Linz) and at the ETH itself. According to Wikipedia Version 3 („with Gadgets“) was then renamed to „ETH-Oberon“ in 2000.

Then there was „Bluebottle“, „Active Object System“ and what not.

All those forks, extensions and variants seemed to have ceased their activities in around 2000-05.

Except the „original Oberon“, which got a revive thanks to Niklaus Wirth‘s effort to „simplify it even more“ :)

So there was a revision of the Oberon language itself (Oberon-07), and of the operating system (Oberon V5 aka „FPGA Oberon) in 2013, together with an entire RISC CPU designed and implemented on an FPGA (again by Niklaus Wirth).

I consider this „the most official Oberon“ today, as it seems to be the one mostly alive anyway ;)

In short:

„ETH-Oberon“ based on System 3 („desktop and gadgets“) -> seems to have ceased its activities

„Oberon V5“ („FPGA Oberon“), still in use and „approved by Wirth“ ;)

Or so I understand anyway. Also refer to

  https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oberon_(operating_system)

Cheers, Oliver