[Oberon] Assumed issue in the Lola-2 compiler

Chris Burrows chris at cfbsoftware.com
Tue Apr 16 14:16:56 CEST 2019

No. As I said, in Oberon -1 DIV 16 is NOT equal to (-1) DIV 16. It is equal
to -(1 DIV 16).

> Even with your clarifications I still consider it undecidable from
> the Oberon report whether "(-1) DIV 16" is zero or -1.

I don't see how you could come to that conclusion.

Let me try again:

q = x DIV y

so:

x = -1
y = 16

and you are suggesting that q can equal zero. If we assume that it does,
then:

x = q*y + r

becomes:

-1 = r.

That is not possible as 0 <= r < 16. Hence q *cannot* equal zero.

Now let's assume q = -1 which I claim it is.

x = q*y + r

becomes:

-1 = (-1 * 16) + r

Hence

r = 15 which *does* satisfy the condition 0 <= r < 16.

The definition in the Oberon Report is necessary and sufficient.

Regards,
Chris Burrows
CFB Software
http://www.astrobe.com