[Oberon] PO2013 - System.CloseTrack / System.ExtendDisplay

Paul Reed paulreed at paddedcell.com
Thu Apr 25 00:20:40 CEST 2019

> When doing the same in Native Oberon (on PC), you can recover by
> pressing Ctrl+Break, since Native Oberon's TRAP handler will open a new
> log viewer if the log viewer has been closed.
>
> But I just tested it in PO2013, this "safety precaution" is not
> implemented there. But probably not hard to add if anyone needs it :-)

A quick and crude way would be to add a call to OpenViewers just before
Oberon.Reset in System.Abort.  It would also give a more striking visual
feedback for the reset button being pressed (or F12 if you're in Peter
de Wachter's emulator), rather than just the rather humble "ABORT"
message in the log.

But this doesn't help if you do my favourite, which is System.Free
System...

For a single-user system in the hands of someone who's had at least a
quick overview, these little "gotchas" are within proportion,
considering the efficiency, satisfying responsiveness, and vast
reduction in complexity compared with a multi-user system which must
remain up and safe, no matter what one user manages to do.  Everyone is
still working on achieving the latter.