[Oberon] Re(n): PO2013 - System.CloseTrack / System.ExtendDisplay

peter at easthope.ca peter at easthope.ca
Sat May 4 16:44:21 CEST 2019

From: "Skulski, Wojciech" <skulski at pas.rochester.edu>
Date: Fri, 3 May 2019 15:41:19 +0000
> a touch screen requires a hardware touch screen controller, ...
> ... I suspect that the touch screen, if present, could be absorbed
> into the Mouse module.

Yes, pointing can be implemented via mouse or finger.  Approximately
equivalent although pointing with finger directly to an entity on the
screen is a littlle more direct.  The choice is secondary.  If you
prefer a mouse; good; no harm in that.

From: "Skulski, Wojciech" <skulski at pas.rochester.edu>
Date: Fri, 3 May 2019 11:01:42 +0000
> A config file can lead to a Unix disease that one never knows what
> the computer is doing without digging into and deciphering .rc files
> which seem to be everywhere. It is a serious illness in my opinion, ...

Definitely!

From:	Claudio Nieder <private at claudio.ch>
Date:	Sat, 4 May 2019 10:51:45 +0200
> In short I argue, that there might be just two main reason that really
> force you to use configuration files.
> Mandated ...
> Operational ...

The Oberon.Text boot configuration is Operational; correct?

> Then requirements change because ...
> And now you have already invented an awkward IF ... THEN ... ELSE ...
> END. This can go on over time until your new language is as complex as
> Oberon without having its beauty.

Certainly quicksands should be avoided.  Stick to a reliable path.

To my understanding, the proposal of 2018-05-09 satisfies all the
requirements by simple means.

>From peter at easthope.ca  Wed May  9 15:52:59 2018
> Any implicit or invisible command is problematic.  The best
> possibility I've imagined is a small floating viewer displaying core
> commands.  Similar to the popup menu of ET but remaining  open
> continually.  Aspect ratio similar to the screen rather than tall and
> narrow.  It would track the mouse as the arrow does in extant Oberons.
> It would have an arrow point and hotspot somewhere on the perimeter.
> > Nothing really original but combining established features in a new
> way.

Changing the content of the floating viewer during a session is a
straightforward matter.

Regards,                        ... Lyall E.

--
Composed and transmitted by software designed to avoid the
complication and vulnerability of antivirus software.