[Oberon] Re (2): File comparison in V5.

peter at easthope.ca peter at easthope.ca
Tue Aug 6 14:52:33 CEST 2019

From:	Joerg <joerg.straube at iaeth.ch>
Date:	Tue, 6 Aug 2019 13:54:08 +0200
> The issue with diff as we know it from eg Unix is, that they expect
> ASCII texts.

... and also that the differences are presented in sequence rather
than in parallel. For me, the parallel presentation in Oberon is
significant.

> As Oberon texts are more than pure ASCII files.

Often I move files from Linux to Oberon to allow use of Diff.Do.
The extra step is justified (for me).

Probably my preference is just a symptom of a reading disorder.  Most
professionals must rate diff as good as Diff.Do.

> I have a draft version of diff working on ProjectOberon.

No doubt it's a very useful tool.

Regards,                             ... P.

--
https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Oberon
Tel: +1 604 670 0140            Bcc: peter at easthope. ca