[Oberon] 30th anniversary of Oberon

rochus.keller at bluewin.ch rochus.keller at bluewin.ch
Thu Jan 2 13:17:17 CET 2020

@ Treutwein Bernhard

Great, thanks. These are apparently the same two texts that appeared in the journals in 1988. Since it's an official ETH technical report made accessible to public on September 1987 and taking into accound all previously stated facts I conclude that the official first appearance/pubilcation year of the Oberon programming language is 1987.  Therefore the official 25th anniversary was in 2012 and the 30th anniversary in 2017. The Wikipedia pages are wrong; I will try to fix them.

I'm still interested in the differences of the 1987 and 1990 versions of the language reports. Before I start a cross-correlation maybe someone has done that already or has an official description. Concluding from the HOPL paper Oberon 90 (not 87) was apparently used for teaching, and also Prof. Wirth on his homepage only mentions Oberon 90 (the attribute "revised" is only attached to the 2007 version when you look at https://inf.ethz.ch/personal/wirth/Oberon/).

Best
R.