[Oberon] 30th anniversary of Oberon

rochus.keller at bluewin.ch rochus.keller at bluewin.ch
Fri Jan 3 23:47:39 CET 2020

@ Joerg Straube

Interesting point, thanks.

>> Oberon 90 can be seen more „grown up“ and more distinguishable from Modula-2 ... The language refinement went on with Oberon-07.

This correlates with the presentation of the versions on Prof. Wirth's homepage (https://inf.ethz.ch/personal/wirth/Oberon/):

"Oberon
Oberon at a Glance
Programming in Oberon (a Tutorial)
The Programming Language Oberon (1990)
The Programming Language Oberon-07 (Revised Oberon)
Difference between Oberon-07 and Oberon
..."

@  Till Oliver Knoll

>> shouldn‘t we not celebrate Oberon 90‘s birthday in 2020?

That was my original question; but celebrating in 2020 would not fit the pattern; the last official anniversary was the 25th in 2011, apparently assuming the year of birth to be 1986 (what is somewhat difficult to understand after the facts now available).

Best
R.