[Oberon] Project Oberon (was: Coding practice)

Skulski, Wojciech skulski at pas.rochester.edu
Fri Feb 21 20:08:19 CET 2020

Joerg:
> As you know, Project Oberon has two parts: a) the Oberon OS and b) the HAL (HW abstraction layer)

Physically it has the third layer, which is FPGA boards and emulators which can be termed "soft boards". I actually think that emulators are the most undervalued part of the project. They have a great potential.

> a) The OS part of Project Oberon is collaborative, but perhaps in the peculiar way that you write your improvements in a mail to NW and he commits your request (or not). NW is a kind of „human git“😊

The informal nature of this arrangement creates a problem, I think.

> Andreas, Paul, myself, probably Chris and others provided input to NW to make the Oberon OS more stable and bug free.
> The clearer you describe the error or the improvement including working code snipets, the more likely it is to be included by NW in a next release

It would be more natural if the said persons formed a formal Advisory Committee with NW being a chairman. If you look around either the industry or academia, you will such committees everywhere. The Oberon community is an exception.

The community could then discuss, submit propositions and patches to the Committee, which could then improve and prioritize the propositions. The final step would be an inclusion in the official system. The process would be open and transparent.

Lacking a formal procedure is adversely affecting the progress. One can of course say "we do not need any damn progress", which is more or less the present situation.

> b) In my point of view, NW sees his HAL (RISC5 instruction set, expected peripherals and memory layout) more or less as frozen. The only late addition he made to it were interrupts.

This is both reasonable and good. It provides a stable base.

The actual firmware implementation is rising some timing issues. The implementation can be fixed without touching the instruction set.

> As long as any implementation (ASIC, FPGA, SoC, emulator) complies to the described HAL, the Oberon OS and especially the compiler works on it as is.

This is great.

> New HAL features can be added to Project Oberon. I added a 16 color display by changing VID.v and Display.Mod.

Any practical instrument will need to add new peripherals. It can be done with new modules. It will not disrupt the foundation.

> But this feature is not taken over into NWs release. ... And remember: colors need a lot of memory, so I had to reduce max code and heap size considerably to make 16 colors work in only 1 MB the board I have provides. BTW: The HAL is not bound to 1 MB. A compliant implementation can have up to 16 MB.

A full HD display will take 2,073,600 bytes with 8 bit color. A board with 4 MB can afford this. There is no reason why the limitation of the ancient FPGA board dictates the BW display. The display resolutions and colors can be encapsulated in Display and/or SysDef and transparantly implemented w/o disrupting the base system. This is why I am advocating that the system is parametrized. Without parametrization any change will lead to a domino effect. With parametrization the changes will be possible.

All that was actually envisioned in the NW book, but then he did not provide the properly parametrized foundation.

> If you see the Oberon OS (especially the inner core) as a good base for embedded systems, 16 colors is of minor interest as most embedded system not even have a display at all.

This is not true. Some instrumentation needs a display. It is not right to say "this design is limited by an ancient technology, but this is OK because a more general design is not needed anyway".

Wojtek