[Oberon] Project Oberon

Skulski, Wojciech skulski at pas.rochester.edu
Sun Feb 23 06:35:12 CET 2020

 Frans-Pieter:

Thank you for the posting. it is an interesting topic. I am not an expert in the field of atmospheric research at all. So I searched for " Nova SDS011 particle sensor" and browsed through the article by Hai-Ying Liu, Philipp Schneider, Rolf Haugen and Matthias Vogt in Atmosphere, January 2019. The article can be downloaded from https://www.researchgate.net/publication/330544166

My first though is that it is serious science. I have not assessed all the facts and correlations because I am not an expert in the field, but the work looks solid. The authors did a great amount of work and analysis.

>From the point of view of the instrument developer I would say "stay away from reverse engineering this thing" because your reverse engineered firmware and software will carry no guarantee it is correct. You will need to spend a very significant effort on characterizing the device with your own firmware and software. It is one thing to make it work, which can be very satisfying. it is an entirely different matter to release the modified instrument and make users believe that it performs as well as the original. The amount of work to achieve the latter goal will be quite enormous. Basically, you will need to repeat the tests described in the paper. This is a substantial effort.

The technical aspect of this sensor is a somewhat separate topic. I cannot say whether the ADC built into the STM32 is good or bad. I presume it is good within the specs, which apparently were sufficient to develop the atmospheric sensor. I do not know the details of its operation, so I am not going to even try assessing the technology.

This ADC would not be adequate for my applications, which are a completely separate field. So I am not very interested in this chip for my apps, but I am making a note for the future. Perhaps one day I will see a good use for this class of parameters and then I will have a deeper look at the details.

Thank you,
Wojtek