[Oberon] FLOOR/ENTIER

Paul Reed paulreed at paddedcell.com
Wed Apr 15 21:01:36 CEST 2020

Hi August,

> Does anyone know why the name FLOOR was preferred over the previous
> name ENTIER?

FLOOR is certainly less ambiguous as to whether it rounds towards zero
or down...

I do get the impression that Prof. Wirth took the chance where possible
to amend things which caused confusion before.  Maybe he got brickbats
for ENTIER.  Since many programmers (especially nowadays) are not
mathematicians, they may not have heard of Legendre's word for the
concept.  I hadn't, I don't think, and I *was* trained in maths.  Or
maybe I forgot by the time I came to Oberon. :)

Cheers,
Paul