[Oberon] Negative integer literals in Oberon

Chris Burrows chris at cfbsoftware.com
Sun Apr 26 23:44:52 CEST 2020

A few years ago I was included in a private email discussion. I take the liberty of reproducing part of it here as I believe the concepts are crucial to this discussion.

The following statement had been made:

“I like this new version of Oberon's type rules. They are simpler to understand and if the audience

wants more details, he can always read the source code of ORP.Mod.”

Wirth’s response was as follows (verbatim apart from a couple of spelling typos that I corrected):

NO, NO!

He should look only at the Oberon-Report. This is the definitive document. But never the compiler! Oberon-Users do not have access to the compiler source.

The very idea of a high-level language was that it must not be defined with reference to a computer (or compiler), but be clearly defined as an abstract machine, the language report. I am afraid that this notion got lost over the past decades, where in case of doubt one does not analyze the situation, but simply, due to interactive usage, try and try again.  Also, the  "open source" is a terrible promoter of deserting this most useful idea. Another consequence is that "everyone" creates his own compiler (language?) version, compromising the very idea of a common language serving communication.

Please do not consider my compiler as the definition of Oberon, and in case of doubt read the Report. It is the privilege of a report to leave certain constructs undefined. In this case a user should simply avoid using the (undefined) feature.

Chris Burrows

CFB Software

https://www.astrobe.com