[Oberon] Negative integer literals in Oberon

Paul Reed paulreed at paddedcell.com
Mon Apr 27 00:01:49 CEST 2020

Hi Joerg,

> ... his intention can be found in NW‘s compiler: not compared to
> „maxint“ and if you wrote more than 8 hex digits, only the 32 LSB
> are stored.

I wouldn't read too much into this.  In general it looks to me as if he
will try to find the least complicated way to show the principle; and
checking, if too distracting or hitting (a rather vintage view of)
performance, will be elided (eg no PC checks when compilers are laying
down code).  And that decision is likely to be on a case-by-case basis.
If he can do a better job, he usually does. :)

>         k := k*10H + h; INC(i) (*no overflow check*)

Indeed.  But pragmatic.

Cheers,
Paul