[Oberon] Garbled note in old document.

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Tue Apr 28 13:36:52 CEST 2020

On Mon, 27 Apr 2020 at 17:43, <peter at easthope.ca> wrote:

>  Can anyone tell the
> meaning of "_> SCSI"?  A typographical error?

I would guess it's an effort to draw an ASCII arrow. I'd use a hyphen myself:

->

Or an em-dash if available,

–>

... but they aren't in the basic ANSI set, I think, which is why I
usually use 2 hyphens -- like this.

C/H/S addressing was for ST-506 and its derivatives such as RLL, ESDI,
and IDE (note, _not_ EIDE). Very early EIDE could use C/H/S addressing
but only for the first 512 MiB of the drive.

EIDE used LBA (Logical Block Addresing). ATAPI (as used for EIDE
optical drives) is broadly SCSI commands packeted and sent over the
ATA (i.e., EIDE) bus.

SCSI never used C/H/S and always used block addressing, as far as I know.

Email: lproven at cix.co.uk – gMail/gTalk/gHangouts: lproven at gmail.com