[Oberon] Type compatibility in Oberon

Andreas Pirklbauer andreas_pirklbauer at yahoo.com
Fri May 1 14:45:01 CEST 2020

   > Not exactly. This amended statement is more accurate:
   >
   > "It is not guaranteed that a program THAT USES UNDEFINED
   > FEATURES compiled with two different implementations of the
   > same report behave in the same way.”

If you view (just as an example) the maximum case label in the
numeric case statement as an “undefined feature”, I am O.K.
with the amended statement above.

So, if compiler A implements the numeric case stmt with max case label =
1024 and compiler B with max case label = 255, then the statement

  CASE k OF 1000: (*do something*) END

will compile with compiler A, but not with compiler B. Imagine a user who
has written many legacy programs with label >255 using compiler A and
now switches to compiler B. Now what?

Should he HAVE to edit all his legacy programs?