[Oberon] Interfacing with Foreign Systems

Guy T. turgu666 at gmail.com
Sat May 2 17:15:02 CEST 2020

I don’t think it’s a good idea of looking at ProjectOberon to build a kind of full blown OS with all the complexity related to it.There is already other solutions available (read Linux, Windows, MacOS, etc.). Running ProjectOberon for what it is, a simple OS with a very attractive (different) user interface than what we are used too with other system is the key. Using an FPGA based computer is attractive for the ones who need it for it’s real potential (educational or industrial). Independent of the underneath hardware platform, the ProjectOberon software part of it possesses it's own merit to get it available on a commercial board, even for educational purposes (software-wise). A limited amount of changes would be required if an hardware abstraction layer is built under it to facilitate its eventual port on other platforms. Augmenting its availability using easy to get hardware seems to me to be an interesting avenue, “stealing" the drivers already available somewhere else to access the hardware… I already made that point before so I won’t add on it.

Guy