[Oberon] Hardware; was: Development boards

peter at easthope.ca peter at easthope.ca
Sun May 3 05:03:04 CEST 2020

>From peter at easthope.ca  Sat May  2 04:05:45 2020
> Is FPGA essential?

>From skulski at pas.rochester.edu  Sat May  2 04:53:45 2020
> It depends for what.

Should have made the question more specific.  Is FPGA essential for
every control system and embedded system?

Can't a laptop or ITX work for many student projects and for
prototyping commercial systems?

In an industrial setting, power consumption and space aren't critical.
A laptop or ITX might work there also.

>From joerg.straube at iaeth.ch  Sat May  2 14:53:39 2020
> In telecommunications, very roughly there are three types of boards
> you can plug in a modular telecom gear:
> - CPU boards, ...
> - FPGA boards, ...
> - ASIC boards ...
> After the standard is mature ... a highly specialized ASIC for mass production.

Thanks for that explanation.

Any chance of a FPGA being standardized ever?  I don't know whether
the ISO has produced a specification for an integrated circuit.
Hypothetically possible.

>From chris at cfbsoftware.com  Sat May  2 01:57:27 2020
> It is prudent to be concerned that hardware is going to survive for
> a reasonable amount of time. So much appears suddenly and disappears
> just as quickly that it is difficult to keep track.

The 555 timer was designed in 1971 and is now standardized in a sense.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/555_timer_IC
Many old chips have a similar history.  Is standardization
fundamentally impossible for FPGA?   Just a question of maturity?

Regards,                          ... Lyall E.

--
https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Medical_Machines
https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Oberon