[Oberon] Unlimited Oberon System for any board

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Wed May 6 18:33:04 CEST 2020

On Wed, 6 May 2020 at 17:57, Skulski, Wojciech
<skulski at pas.rochester.edu> wrote:

> I believe that the pandemic can change our thinking a little bit. We should no longer take for granted those various chips and cheap boards costing $5 and offering everything but the certainty of their own presence three months down the road.

This is a profoundly unrealistic view.

The Raspberry Pi Foundation is eleven years old. It is not some
fly-by-night outfit.

ARM is the highest-selling computer processor of any kind in the
history of the human race. As of last February it has shipped 160
_billion_ units.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arm_Holdings#Sales_and_market_share

It shipped first silicon  in 1986, the same year that Prof Wirth
started the Oberon project.

There is _already_ an ARM compiler for Oberon. It was written by a
chap called Niklaus Wirth; you might have heard of him?
https://inf.ethz.ch/personal/wirth/Oberon/Oberon.ARM.Compiler.pdf

There is also Astrobe from our own list member:
https://www.astrobe.com/

Oberon already runs on ARM under Linux:
http://oberon.wikidot.com/

Indeed you can run it on the Raspberry Pi:
http://www.software-templ.com/shareware.html

> Investing many months into development of the compiler

None needed. Already present.

> and system running on a Strawberry, Banana, or another juicy fruit may not be the wisest long term investment in the situation of broken supply chains due to the world wide disruptions.

Au contraire. In fact the company is doing extremely well as a result
of the pandemic and quarantine:
https://www.techrepublic.com/article/raspberry-pi-why-sales-have-rocketed-in-the-middle-of-the-coronavirus-outbreak/

Email: lproven at cix.co.uk – gMail/gTalk/gHangouts: lproven at gmail.com