[Oberon] Unlimited Oberon System for any board

Skulski, Wojciech skulski at pas.rochester.edu
Thu May 7 15:31:08 CEST 2020

Joerg:

> In this discussion, I miss a little bit the SW cost..

Do you mean Linux, which is free, or Oberon System, which is also free?

Or do you mean the cost of software development by *ourselves*, which somehow was not ever mentioned in this discussion? There was a lot of attention devoted to which SBC is cheaper. Somehow, nobody in this discussion said: "I bought $5 computer, and I spent NNN hours getting a project ABC running. Since my time is worth XXX dollars per hour, the total cost was $5 + XXX * NNN." We mostly argue about $5 or $50 per board. Of course we lean towards $5. Who cares about XXX * NNN?

>From my own experience I can tell you that XXX * NNN is high. I cannot reveal the number. But I can tell you that software development with the free Linux costs a lot.

These remarks refer to the newest post by Darek as well. It is a different great board, but the same software approach.  "The Industrial grade -40+125C Open Source Hardware Linux board.."

All right, Linux.