[Oberon] Unlimited Oberon System for any board

Skulski, Wojciech skulski at pas.rochester.edu
Fri May 8 17:19:26 CEST 2020

Guy:

> What about using RISC-V ISA on FPGA, allowing for “some kind of” easy path between RISC-V chips and FPGA made systems?

Have a look at
http://opencores.org/project,hf-risc   (older version)
https://github.com/sjohann81/hf-risc (newer version)

The older version from Open Cores runs on the same Spartan-3 starter kit which originally hosted RISC5. The newer version removed that support and added some other stuff. The highlights which are worth exploring:

1. The project is mostly in VHDL which I like much better than NW Verilog.

2. The structure of the HF-RISC-V seems more clear to me than RISC5, which is IMHO too terse with too few comments (ETH specialty, I guess).

3. The HF CPU is explicitly pipelined and there is some discussion. The discussion is a little bit above my head, but at least there is hope of understanding.

4. There is also a MIPS variant in the same archive. It may be interesting to compare the three approaches, HF-RISC-V, MIPS, and RISC5.

Please note that this is "a RISC-V" rather than "the RISC-V". I am not sure what is the connection between *this* RISC-V and the official one. I suspect that just like there is no "the ARM", there is no such thing as "the RISC-V" either.

Hope it helps,
Wojtek