[Oberon] Serial UART question

Magnus Karlsson magnus at saanlima.com
Sun May 17 16:51:23 CEST 2020

The FT2232H chip from FTDI can operate in different modes.  One is as a
UART with signals like RXD, TXD, RTS abd DTS.  Another mode is "245
FIFO" where the interface looks like an 8-bit FIFO with signals like RD,
WR, RXF and TXE.
See the FT2232H data sheet page 9 for different usage of the pins in
various modes:
https://www.ftdichip.com/Support/Documents/DataSheets/ICs/DS_FT2232H.pdf

On Pipistrello the FT2232H is hocked up for either UART mode of FIFO
mode while on Pepino only UART mode is supported.

The RTS and DTS signals are typically used if you need modem control.

Magnus