[Oberon] HDMI question

Skulski, Wojciech skulski at pas.rochester.edu
Mon May 18 00:15:19 CEST 2020

Well, the proof of the pudding is in the eating. If it works then your design must be OK.

On the other hand, I tend to follow what the data sheets are saying. So in the Spartan-6 user guide UG381 (v1.6) February 14, 2014 there is schematics, showing the 50 ohm resistors to Vcc=3.3V at the far end of the cable. There are no caps shown on that page, which is important because if the caps are needed then Xilinx will tell you so.

Wikipedia says that DC coupling is part of the specs:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transition-minimized_differential_signaling

The physical layer for TMDS is current mode logic (CML),[2] DC coupled and terminated to 3.3 Volts. While the data is DC balanced (by the encoding algorithm), the DC coupling is part of the specification. TMDS can be switched or repeated by any method applicable to CML signals. However, if DC coupling to the transmitter is not preserved, some transmitters' "monitor detection" features may not work properly.

>From all this I take home that I better insert the TMDS repeater TMDS141RHAR in the signal path to protect the FPGA. The downside is that Guy will need to solder the QFN package to his board. It will be fun. I assembled a ton of these in the past and it always worked. So it can be done.

Thank you,
Wojtek