[Oberon] Oberon Languages

JR joerg.straube at iaeth.ch
Mon Jun 1 10:55:13 CEST 2020

Hi again

In my previous mail, I did not mention all the Oberon system spin-offs that exist today.
Perhaps one worth mentioning is the LinzOberon aka V4.
Around1991/1992, both ETH and Linz university had the same idea to enhance the text-based Oberon system with more graphic functionality like menus, panels...

- Based on the original Oberon (V1) system, ETH developed a new system —> System3 later renamed to ETHOberon. The novelty was the introduction of module Objects.Mod. All operating system objects (Frame, Text, Font…) are inherited from this one base module. The GUI introduced Gadgets.
- Based on the original Oberon (V1) system, Linz university had the idea to take the text in Texts.Mod as base type and enhance it with a flexible system of loadable modules. They developed V2 and then V4. The GUI introduced text elems (Popup elems, Fold elems, Font elems, Clock elems…)

So, LinzOberon and ETHOberon both use Oberon-2 as language and enhanced the original Oberon system with a „GUI".
Their APIs are incompatible. You can compare this a litte bit to the difference between GNOME/GTK+ and KDE/Qt: same idea but different implementation.

br
Jörg