[Oberon] Re (n): ftp://ftp.ics.uci.edu/pub/oberon/System3/Macintosh

peter at easthope.ca peter at easthope.ca
Mon Jun 15 19:18:59 CEST 2020

From:	Liam Proven <lproven at gmail.com>
Date:	Mon, 15 Jun 2020 15:25:17 +0200
> Nice touch but for me at least the link given as a reference does not resolve.

http://www.ethoberon.ethz.ch/compiler/index.html and many other URL
were viable to early 2020.  Then the ETH server went off line.  =8~(

Consequent to automated copying, archive.org is a collection of static
historical snapshots. Most or all ETH pages are there.  =8~)

As mentioned a few days ago, the "ETH Oberon Site Map" distinguishes
pages which have been salvaged to the wikibook from pages available
only in archive.org. https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Oberon/S3/sitemap

Contrasting to archive.org, the wikibook is a dynamic document.  It
permits editing by any individual.  Information from ongoing
development can be incorported.  Salvage of older information to the
wikibook continues as time is available.

From:	Joerg <joerg.straube at iaeth.ch>
Date:	Mon, 15 Jun 2020 07:04:27 +0200
> It [Oberon White Paper] describes the „ETH Oberon System“ coded in
> the programming language Oberon-2. In 2000, System 3 was renamed to „
> ETH Oberon System“. System 3 should not be used anymore unless you
> refer to some intermediate version of the ETH Oberon System between
> 1995 and 2000.

I don't recall a document summarizing the language basis of various systems.
This is my sketchy understanding.
V1  Oberon.
V2  Oberon.
S3  Initially Oberon; transitioned to Oberon-2.
"ETH Oberon System"  Oberon-2.
V4  Initially Oberon; transitioned to Oberon-2.
A2  Active Oberon.
V5  Oberon-07.
Corrections welcome.

Inclusion of in the genealogy seems possible.  Any objection?

The motivation for the change "System 3" => "ETH Oberon System" is not
evident. The newer name was considered more marketable? There was a
plan to switch the language basis to Active Oberon?

Thanks,                       ... P.

--
https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Medical_Machines
https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Oberon