[Oberon] Cleaning up low level modules (a pipe dream)

Jörg joerg.straube at iaeth.ch
Fri Jun 19 23:05:28 CEST 2020

Wojtek

An approach with one file - although the intention is good - is NOT good.
In big contrast to C includes (.h files) - where your idea might stem from - compiled Oberon modules have strongly enforced version keys.
The consequence of having ONE file, is, whenever you add some new constant to it, you have to recompile ALL sources, link the inner core, basically re-build the whole Oberon system, only because you added eg LF* = 0AX to your constant collection.

Such an approach destroys the whole Oberon idea of separate compilation.
Whenever the constants are so important that you want to export them, you anyhow have to give them a name.
When the constants are internal to a module, you might name them or you might not. Because it‘s internal the scope and meaning of this constant is very local and not of importance to the rest of the system.

Your base idea is okay, but please not in ONE file. Group the constants by area. Eg move all ASCII constants to Input.Mod. It is really strange that all modules working with ASCII redefine the constants over and over again instead of just importing them from one central place namely, Input.Mod (I did that and defined also ASCII codes of the arrow keys, I can move the caret with the keys and not only the mouse)

Group all memory related constants to Kernel.Mod, group all your file system related constants to Files.Mod, group all your timer related functions to either Kernel.Mod or write a new module Timer.Mod. But please don‘t use ONE file, where all your constants are in. I grouped all Wiznet related constants to W5500.Mod, I grouped all IP related constants in IP.Mod and so on.

And if you need them you just write
    IMPORT Kernel, W5500, IP;
and use them IP.AnyPort or W5500.InterruptMask...

br
Jörg