[Oberon] Names and genealogies.

peter at easthope.ca peter at easthope.ca
Mon Jun 22 19:57:26 CEST 2020

Hi,

>From thomas.kral at email.cz  Mon Jun  1 08:36:21 2020
> There were pages showing System and Language genealogy over the years
> at ETH. Can be possibly recovered from WebArchive (way back machine),
> anyone tried?

In archive.org the last snapshot of the "Oberon Language Genealogy Tree" is here.
https://web.archive.org/web/20191207132227/http://www.ethoberon.ethz.ch/genealogy.html

Appears the translation from ethz.ch to archive.org spoiled the format
of the table. If anyone knows of a correct image, PDF or on paper,
that will help.  Thanks.

In archive.org the last snapshot of the "ETH Oberon System Genealogy
Tree" is here.
https://web.archive.org/web/20191207073002/http://www.ethoberon.ethz.ch/genealsys.html
Aside from glitches in borders, the format appears OK.  A copy is
being salvaged.

From:	Joerg <joerg.straube at iaeth.ch>
Date:	Mon, 15 Jun 2020 07:04:27 +0200
> In 2000, System 3 was renamed to ??? ETH Oberon System???. System 3
> should not be used anymore unless you refer to some intermediate
> version of the ETH Oberon System between 1995 and 2000.

The wikibook should satisfy two criteria.
(1) Formal correctness.  Straightforward for the experts, Joerg and
many others.  For a novice formal correctness is water off a duck's
back.  =8~)

(2) Comprehensibility.  Straightforward for the experts since decades
ago.  =8~)  Frequently troublesome for a novice.  =8~(

(1) & (2) can conflict. Ambiguity of names is a source of confusion
and annoyance. How can "System 3" and "ETH Oberon System" be handled
without insulting correctness and without causing confusion?

"Young Mr. and Mrs. Smith welcome their first baby.  Inspired with
simplicity, they register his name as Jon Smith.  Grandparents
complain a little.  No problem.  =8~)

Jon reaches 15 years.  Mom and dad are middle aged and regret the
choice of name. So they rename their son James-William George Smith.
With a bit of formality the new name is in the government registry.
=8~)  Grandparents say: What is wrong with these parents; giving the
poor boy a headache.  Jon's friends say: How must we call you now; Jon
or James-William or George or Smith?

Jon has an idea: I'm taller now but still me; all me J.  Friends are
happy.  J is happy.  =8~)  Parents are annoyed.  =8~)  Grandparents
say: A short name is better than a long one.  =8~)"

So I still think of alias S3 meaning "System 3" or "ETH Oberon
System"; at risk of annoying some.  _Better_Ideas_ always welcome.  =8~)

TTFN,                                 ... P. or L.  (whichever works)

--
https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Medical_Machines
https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Oberon