[Oberon] Networking ETH Oberon on QEMU.

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Mon Jul 6 21:44:57 CEST 2020

On Mon, 6 Jul 2020 at 18:23, <peter at easthope.ca> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Strictly this is a QEMU question but someone here might be able to
> answer.
>
> This command produces error reply "qemu-system-i386: Invalid parameter 'net'".
>
> qemu-system-i386 -drive file=$Sysdev,format=raw \
>   -netdev tap,id=n1,ipv4=on,ipv6=off,net=172.23.8.0/24,host=172.23.8.2 \
>   -device ne2k_pci,netdev=n1

Oh my word. That's a long command line.

Is this is a x86 guest on an x86 host? And is the host running Linux?
Is the CPU of the host machine under, say, a decade old? If so, it
should have hardware virtualisation. I can state with reasonable
confidence that if it does have hardware virtualisation, that Oberon
or at least A2  works under it, because I run A2 under VirtualBox
which uses the same hardware virtualisation.

As such, you could use the KVM Virtual Machine Manager to set up and
configure your guest VM -- KVM just calls QEMU in order to create
drives, set up memory etc. This is considerably easier and gives you a
(reasonably) friendly GUI to set up networking and so on.

If you use GNOME, GNOME Boxes wraps KVM in an easier GUI.

If you *don't* use Linux, and I think QEMU only runs on xNix and
Windows, then if you are using macOS or Windows, VirtualBox is free,
FOSS (so long as you don't use the Extension Pack, which I think
offers no functionality Oberon or A2 can use) and will do the same job
much more easily. (******

Email: lproven at cix.co.uk – gMail/gTalk/gHangouts: lproven at gmail.com