[Oberon] Re (6?): Networking ETH Oberon on QEMU.

Michael Schierl schierlm at gmx.de
Thu Jul 9 20:23:39 CEST 2020

Hello Peter,

Am 09.07.2020 um 03:58 schrieb peter at easthope.ca:
> Another instance of failure in communication from the ETH Oberon QEMU
> guest to the Debian 10 QEMU host.
>
> Desktops.OpenDoc "ssh://peter@joule"
> connecting to joule ... connected
> connection closed: protocol error
>
> Permission denied from FTP.

I would check if another FTP client (e.g. one on the host) sees this as
well (authenticating with the same user). Since I think this is mostly a
configuration issue of the ftp server.

> Protocol error from SSH.

In my experience this happens when the client tries to negotiate ciphers
that the server considers to be outdated; or if the client only
negotiates ciphers that the server does not know of.

Increase LogLevel on the sshd will usually give some insights. (Don't do
that on production SSHDs that are used by multiple people, as it may log
confidential data. But I assume you are ssh'ing to your personal machine
anyway). In case of outdated ciphers you can then enable those on the
server.

You could probably also tcpdump your tap device and dissect the
handshake with Wireshark.

> No read-only option has been set in QEMU.  Puzzling.

I doubt that you can make a network device "read only" :-)

Regards,

Michael